A true friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future and accepts you today, just the way you are.--- Anon
Scroll for more quotes!For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
-Virginia Woolf (1882 - 1941)
Ok. Sex is fine. Sex is good. Sex is GREAT! Okay, okay, we need men for sex... Do we need so many?
-Martin Sage and Sybil Adelman
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
-Oscar Levant (1906 - 1972)>
Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.
-Timothy Leary (1920 - 1996)
Fuck vegetarians, all Gods are carnivorous.
-Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin
Things I Wrote
Basically, I think it is worthless and causes much more pain than it relieves. Don't get me wrong, in certain instances I do think hope can be useful, but usually it is a barrel full of crap that we wish was a barrel full of gold.
My main problem with hope is that the results of it usually hinge on someone else. It seems like you are just setting yourself up for pain. What sane individual does that to themselves?
I would prefer to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised by anything good. Hope seems like it makes you expect the best, sometimes something way out of reach, usually something that has to be fulfilled by another, and then when it falls short crashes you into the ground. Again, what sane person gets on a roller coaster that they know crashes at the end?
I can see the comments that are coming. "Hope makes us strive for better things." and all other comments along this line. These are not wrong. Hope is a valuable emotion IF the thing you are hoping for is within your personal control! You use hopes to set personal goals. It's a very useful emotion when centered on yourself.
I am only saying that hope is cruel and unusual punishment because too often our hopes are centered on someone or something not in our control.
Our hopes are too often centered on things made to let us down, our kids, our significant others, our political leaders, our society, our friends, and our families.
For example: I had hope (to me this means a reasonable expectation that my desired results could and would come true) that John Kerry would win the election. I was actually extremely disappointed that he didn't. so much so that I am still not over it(even though I don't talk about it anymore cause its over, what can you do) I would rather that I had never expected Kerry to win, and then if he did I would have been pleasantly surprised. The election isn't something that I had control, over. I only had control over my one vote, but I had a lot of hope invested in it.
So I guess what I am saying is that I wish I could give up hope. I would give up the little bit I have for myself in order to give up the completely useless hope I have in everyone else. I am tired of giving others the potential to rip my heart and mind to shreds with this seamingly innocuous weapon.
Sara needed you at 11:06 AM